Friday, July 18, 2008

The hiring process and the titling process

Typing the title of this blog just triggered a memory of a thought I had the other day concerning the time one chooses to fester up a title for something, like this blog or a piece of art or a novel, etc. I asked myself whether or not I title things before or after I create them. My answer was both. I sometimes title them after creation because I then better understand what something is, an element necessary in order to determine an appropriate title. Sometimes I already know what I want to say so I think of the title first because I am certain is sums "it" all up. You can also apply this concept to giving birth to a child and naming it...The naming ritual. I always wondered what was better, to name a child before you know them by looking/seeing into their eyes for the first time or after. I always pondered the idea of a child becoming what you want them to be because you "dubbed"* them before they were born. And most names have certain meanings behind them and by naming a child that, they are then forever destined to be something they may not have been. So I suppose I can say that I would prefer to name a child after birth so I can meet them. I think this is traditionally how native americans, and I'm sure quite a lot of other tribes and cultures, "go about"* their naming rituals. Anyway, just an observation that I felt like writing.

As for my thoughts on the hiring process...
I was just thinking how silly it is to have a typical interview process for new hires, especially in the graphic design field. Graphic design seems to be a "field"* that people put their all and their souls into and one that actually is projected in visual, concrete form. Hence the idiom, "written in stone". So it seems that to fully know you think a person is better for the position than anyone else that you interview is to really and truly try and get to know them on a real level. To me, interviews are nothing but standardized tests for the job world. I never do well on those things because my mind does not process things in such a standardized way. Tests like that always intimidate me because I am put on the spot and quizzed...just doesn't seem natural. Feels more like interrogation before being sentenced to prison. Not something that would make me happy at all. I always freeze up when I am interrogated and it makes me seem like I am "guilty" (in this instance meaning, like I don't know my stuff.) When in fact, if I were taken out for drinks or actually just sitting there having a conversation with real people about design, not under any spotlight, people would see exactly who I am and why I would be good for the position. I think you can get a lot more out of a person if you don't grill them, quiz them or the like. Get on a real, personal, human (non-robotic) level (maybe this really means on multiple levels) and connect.

Those were my thoughts. yep yep. 1.2.3...post.
---

*most of the time, when I place things in quotes, I do that because I realize there is a better or more elegant and sophisticated way to say things or more appropriate words to use but can't seem to think of them at the moment.

No comments: