Friday, April 22, 2011

Once Upon a Time...

...I spent a whole lot of time and created a flash portfolio website, but when I spent a whole lot of time trying to figure out how to publish it on the web (apparently it was too large), I eventually gave up and purchased one from Other People's Pixels. It satisfies the need for the moment, but until I can make the time to learn more web-tech "stuff", I decided to post a few select elements that were incorporated into my website of yonder year, just for fun.

First, I will start by saying that for quite a while I have had a fondness for hands, feet, drawing hands and feet, contour drawings, doing contour drawings of hands and feet, and bread twist ties (I obsessively collect them because I find them everywhere and in the most unlikely places. I don't do anything with them except collect them. And I have A LOT of them). Naturally, I incorporated all of these things into my website because I felt that it best described my aesthetic style, artistic interests and personality at the time.  

I used this image of a contour drawing I did of my hands for the home/landing page. Each finger was a link to a page category of the website. 

---

I used this image of a contour drawing I did of my hand making contact with a flat surface as a button to direct visitors to my contact information.

---


This image is a drawing from my sketchbook of the interlocking fingers of a couple's hands. I thought the interlocking fingers worked well to symbolize linkage, thus links. Naturally, I used it as the main imagery on my links page.

---

 I used this image as the main imagery on the photography page. The photo of the feet is actually not mine but a tear out of a magazine that I drew contour lines of my own feet over. I thought it captured the idea of photography, while still incorporating the contour drawing style of the website.

---
 I drew this especially for the resume section. My finger is supposed to look like it is acting as a sort of magic wand, expelling "Resume". I don't know, I thought it worked at the time.

---

And these lovely twist tie images I used as the navigational buttons on each page.

---

So there you have it. I would, of course, do things entirely different now but it is fun to take a journey back in time every once in a while.

No comments: