Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mira Sol Creative Logo Design

I've been thinking about a logo for my freelance design business, Mira Sol Creative for quite some time now, and have been sketching ideas while nothing has really clicked...until yesterday. So I finally narrowed it down to two logos that I feel represent well the meaning of and concept behind the name "Mira Sol". Before I commit, however, I wanted to gather a few thoughts and opinions from others.

I'll start by providing more information as to the origin of the name,"Mira Sol" so that you will be able to better understand the choices I made in the designs.

One upon a time, my soul sister, Courtney aka Felina Lune Kavi had a dream that I was painting but I didn't know what to paint so she told me, "Mira, Miranda...Mire con sus ojos" or something very close to this (she can correct me if I'm at all off) and when she told me this, it really helped me "see" more clearly. First of all, I had never connected the Spanish, "Mira" in my name with "Sight" so I thought that was just the most awesome and appropriate name for me, and especially for the artist in me, so I coined it and have been using it as my art alias since. Her dream actually inspired me to paint more too, so, naturally, I began painting and drawing eyes and not just bodily eyes but more spiritual paintings with the subject of the third eye (which is a whole other subject I won't go into now). I came to "Sol" because my last name, Sowell is pronounced Soul and being the spiritual person that I am, I've always really loved that about my last name. But instead of using the obvious Soul spelling and simply attach it to Mira so that it became Mira Soul, I decided to play off of light (which obviously is crucial in order to be able to see physically and metaphysically) and continue the Spanish theme, so the Spanish word for Sun really connected well and so it is "Mira Sol".



In order to tie together the intricate concepts of sight, light, art, design, creation & spirituality, I chose to create an eye shape that would work well as a mirrored sun. So I worked the eye/sun design into the over all design and played on the concept of yin/yang, can't have one without the other, can't see without light (literally and on a deeper, more spiritual level). With all of that said, I present to you the contestants thus far (the design could completely change with my ever changing moods and mind):






For the first one, I chose to use a greenish color based on the color of my eyes and then complemented it with an orange color, which just worked out perfectly to represent "Sun" and work as the "O" in "Sol".

I was born on November 22, which is the cusp of Scorpio and Sagittarius sun signs. So on the second logo I decided to cut the overall eye/sun design in half and mirror them with different colors to convey a sort of ying/yang concept with my Scorpio (Water)/Sagittarius (Fire) elements, where the bottom blue represents water and the top represents fire. This also works on a sort of "as above, so below" level too, etc, etc...

I incorporated the banners into each because I just love banners and other "sign painterly" elements and embellishments like this.

Anyway, any thoughts, input, opinions, etc? Do you favor one over the other and why?
I sort of favor one over the other but am not going to say until I get some feedback. Honestly, I may just use them both; one for business card and other promotional items and the other for my blog heading. Anyway, I'll stop talking now and let you look with your eyes!

Thanks for looking!

Love,
Mira Sol

Mira Sol Creative Logo Design | Part II
Mira Sol Creative Logo Design | Part III

5 comments:

Okie Author said...

Nice job niece, born the day after I got married.

Felina Lune Kavi said...

This is a difficult choice. On the one hand, I like the solar 'O' within your name...and on the other hand, I like the circle within a circle within a circle.

I like the fire/water colors best...but I really like that solar 'O'...I feel like the two designs could be merged to create the best of both in one.

Your memory of the story is similar to my memory of the dream. I wrote it in Livejournal...somewhere...so one day I'll have to go back and check, but this is my memory of it:

We were in a building...a gallery...and your art was displayed. There was an open window letting in the bright sun through some kind of prism...casting rainbows all along the walls where your art was hanging. I said, 'Mira! Mira! Look! Look!' and we watched the colors dance across the walls.

Yes, that's when I started calling you Mira. And I always loved that you chose to keep that name and add the appropriate 'Sol' to it. With your sun (sol) in Sagittarius (sagittarian phrase, 'I see'...another reference to Mira)...and the Scorpio-Sag cusp being one of seeing depth and heights all at once...it's a very fitting name for you.

I love you lady! Glad to see you creative what you love.
Love and Gratitude,
Felina

C. Limones Photography said...

I like the third logo. No other reason, just that I like it the most.

Robert said...

I am partial to the middle. It is more reminisent of an eye reminds me a bit of the london underground sings. In the first the geometrics seem to contrast with the overlying text. But they are all well done. Keep up the good work.

smithpeasinapod said...

I am loving the fist one Miranda!